Case Study is a very important mode of investigation which is very intensive in Nature. Infact, It is an induct study about a unit, a child or individual, a community, a race, a nature, a family or a group.
Case Study are important source of the data for psychologist for studing individuals. When we are concerned about Child Development, the purpose of case study is to understand the child. It is usually used to study various aspects of the learner to bring about desirable changes in him. Usually, ths method is used in the case of those learners who do not reponse to the normal teaching-learning process. Case Study is usally done on the basis of case histroy. In this , the history of the subject of child is based either from the subject himself or from his parents, assocates and friends and on the basis of these certain conclusionsare drawn.
According to P.V Young: The case study is a method of exploring and analysing the life of a person.
Purpose of Case Study
- The main purpose of case study are
- Diagnosing the problem of the learner.
- Providing treatment to the learner.
- Providing guidance and counselling to the learner.
Types of children to be taken up for case study
- Children who show exceptional ability in music art, painting, study etc.
- Children who constantly present behavioral problem in class.
- Children who do not seems to be able to the work of the grade of the class.
- Children who are trying very hard against great obstacles.
Various Steps in Case Study
- When an investigator chooses to do a case study he/she should first at a mind the status of the problem under the investigator through direct observation or measurement.
- Determination of the most probable antec or assumptions or behavioural outcome of the case.
- Formulation of definate hypothesis or a set of hypothesis on the bases of the available information and with the knowledge of similar cases.
- Verification of the hypothesis.
- Remedial steps for removing the causes for mal adjustments.
- Follow up the case.
Treatment Of the Problem case
- Simple advice, supplying information, giving suggestion and counselling.
- Direct treatment or psychotheraphy.
- Play theory in the case of children play also includes doll playing and drawing etc.
- Group theraphy.
- Dramatisation technique and role playing.
- Occupation theraphy by engaging the subjects in productive verb.
- Altitude therapy by changing the attitude of parents and mothers.
- By changing the environment of the individual.
Characterstics of Good Case Study
- Case study should be based on relevant and complete data.
- It is also very important that data should be valid.
- Whatever information is collected by the investigator should be kept confidential.
- Data should be systematic.
Merits of Case Study
- It permits n depth study of the problem of the learner.
- It brings to light some necessary and important but unknown fact about learners growth and development.
- It is helpful in diagnosing the problem.
- It is helpful in finding an appropriate solution of the problem.
- It is helpful in providing treatment for the problem.
- It is helpful in the overall guidance and counselling of the learner.
Demerits of Case Study
- It is a time consuming technique and a very lengthy process.
- It is difficult to prepare case study record as parents and teachers may not cooperate.
- It is very difficult to interpret data which often misleading.
- Experts and trained persons are required to prepare a case study.
Format for Case Study
1. Identification of Student
- Personal information
- Name of the Student
- Date of Birth
- Language spoken by the student
2. Family background
- Fathers name
- Date of birth
- Mother’s Name
- Date of birth
- Name of the guardian
- His relationship with the child
- Annual income of the family
- Type of family (Single, Joint)
- Order of the birth
- Number of siblings
3. Educational Background
- Reading- Excellent, good, V-good, Poor
- Writing – Excellent, good, V-good, Poor
- Speaking – Excellent, good, V-good, Poor
- Co-curricular activities
- Recitation -poem
- Out door Game
- In door Game
- Role playing
- Story telling
4. Health and Physical
- Physical abnormality (if any)
5. Personal and social traits
- Thumb sucking
- Nail baiting
- Inferiority Feeling
- Superiority feeling
- Dream nature
- Absent minded