Socio Metric Method
Socio Metric Method is a technique that may be defined as an approach which is used to study the social status of the learner in a group.
The purpose of this method is to identify and help studentswho need assistance in group life so as to contributeto theiir personal development. This method gives clear idea of chooser, mutual chooses and reflection . It will also help in locating the star , isolated, rejected and neglected type of student and make plan effectively for their better development.
In this method teacher need to find out a group position in the classroom, in school or in any other situation with the help of sociometric test. We get socio metric data which indicate measures of social acceptance and inter-action used in intragroup relationship.
Socio Metric chooses are made by group members of those they like or good prefer for specify goals or activity. Socio Metric data is to be display through Sociogram. Socio gram is a graphical drawing using certain symbols and marks to indicate the pattern of socio acceptance and rejections among the members of social group.
Simplest form of Socio Metric Method
For finding out the social structure of a group of 10 students. One line questionnaire is given to the students asking who would like to be the representative or monitor of the class, or whom would you like to play. Student asked to mark against one of the role number there would be made.
Star– Role No. 1
Isolted – Role No. 2,3,6,7,8,9
Rejected – Role No. 4,5
Mutual – (2,3) (7,8) (1,10)
- This technique hepls us to have an idea of the group at a glance.
- This technique enables us to form appropriate group of students for arryng out various activities and projects.
- Socio Metrc tests at different times enables us to find out the changes taking place in group stucture.
- It is helpful in enabling us to understand the characterstics of an individual who is lked or diliked by the group.
- It is very helpful for the guidance worker (Counseller) who studies the pupl relationships.
- It helps us to compare one group with the other.
Limitation of Socio Metric Method
- It is very time consuming approach.
- It involves expertise because it is very complicative approach.
- It needs utmost secrecy.
- It is complicative approach.